Adventurous April

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Teaching

I'm on spring break this week.  No kids, just a huge list of things to do that I don't have the time to do when I am working.  Of course, school figures prominently on that list too.  I'm rewriting my lesson plans to include a unit on bullying.  My students have been treating one another like noxious weeds.  Fifth graders (especially the girls) tend to get nasty in the spring.  Hormones are raging ... but I think a great deal has to do with the fact that they are finally aware of the fact that they are about to leave childhood behind.  They will leave elementary school and go on to middle school.  It's a new world for them.  They're excited about it.  They can't wait.  And they are scared spitless.  Hence, they tend to take out the fear they can't admit to (which would negatively impact their coolness factor - a big deal in middle school) on everyone else.  I am growing up.  I'm excited to grow up.  I don't know if I'm ready to grow up.  I'm afraid of growing up.  I can't admit to being afraid.  Because sometimes, just sometimes, I don't WANT to grow up.  All I can do is act out - so I do. 


Some of my teaching colleagues usually will sigh, roll their eyes at some time during April or May and say - "This is why I don't teach sixth grade."  This is also why some animals eat their young, but that's another story which will not be dealt with here.


I'm also updating my websites, getting lessons together, planning, and - WAIT!  I'm on vacation!  What am I doing?  I guess it all brings out the truth of this quote -


The best part of teaching is that it matters.

The hardest part of teaching is that every moment matters,

every day.

-Todd Whitaker



This is also why I laugh maniacally when someone talks about teachers "having the whole summer off."  I work just as hard during the summer (though I do get to choose the when and where) as I do during the school year.  Do you seriously think we can be pull off what we do during the year without that time of intense preparation?  No one can juggle all those tasks we are required to "keep flying" without putting in the prep work.  So, do yourself a favor and never comment about summers off to your teaching friends.  You might just find yourself in need of a full set of dentures.

No comments:

Post a Comment