Adventurous April

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving All!
 


I am so grateful for so many things.  Today I'm going to be specific though.  I am thankful for a chance to step away from the world.  That's right, I will not be joining all those folks already queing up at stores all over town.  I think today should be a time to celebrate being thankful for what we have ... not focusing on acquiring more.  Call me the "anti-consumer" if you wish, but that is how I feel.  I think it's criminal that Thanksgiving has been usurped by Black Friday.  Absolutely shameful ... and I totally mean that. 

I am currently quite sick, so I have really appreciated a certain 14-year-old who has showed a great deal of compassion and helped me out.  The pies are done.  The turkey is stuffed and cooking.  The squash rolls are done.  The cranberries are currently bubbling in the pot (well on the way to being done).   All that remains is smashing potatoes and making my Mystic Seaport green/wax beans with a mustard sauce.  Our Thanksgiving is down to just our immediate family this year (thanks to Bailee and I being sick).  I'm trying to keep it simple ... and it has been a very good thing.  Thoreau had it right!

The sun is shining today (yesterday was cold and very windy).  There's still a stiff breeze, but nothing like yesterday.  I'd rather have a snowy day reminiscent of the days of my youth.  This makes travel easier, I know, so I won't grouse too much.  Still, I like it when winter weather wraps us up in a fluffy blanket and slows us down.  We need to slow down.  We need to stop running around and concentrate on what's right in front of us.  We forget that all too often.

So -  today is all about slowing down and appreciating the blessings of family.  I hope you have the opportunity to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment