Adventurous April

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lake Wobegon Girl


I wasn't born in Minnesota ... but I consider myself a Minnesotan.  My parents (and a LONG line of ancestors) called Minnesota home.  Despite growing up in Montana (where my dad was transferred with the Northern Pacific Railroad), our parents raised us with Minnesotan sensibilities and all things Minnesota infused our daily life.  They sought out foods and products that were familiar.  Land O Lakes butter was a staple, and our mother was always on the lookout for Creamettes salad macaroni.
Tuna hotdish was a frequent item on the dinner menu, along with green jello and a variety of other casseroles. 
 
I never really thought much about it until our uncle treated us to a visit to a taping of "A Prairie Home Companion" when we went for a visit one summer.  This introduction to Lake Wobegon was like coming home.  It was a world I understood.  I "got" all the jokes.  I chuckled because my relatives could have been any one of the characters Garrison Keillor brought to life.
 
It has been a staple in my life ever since.  First, as a planned visit to NPR on Saturday evenings ... and later as tapes, books, and CDs.  Most recently, I discovered a phone app - NPR Life Culture which features News from Lake Wobegon.  Heaven!
 
So, if you'll excuse me ... I'm off for a visit to my second home, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all of the children are above average.  I may even eat a Powder Milk Biscuit while I'm at it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment