Adventurous April

Monday, January 9, 2012

A Living Legacy

You know, I dreaded today.  The first day without Mike.  It's a pretty horrible thought.  I expected to feel horrible today.  I'll be honest, I didn't feel good.  My nerves were raw, my eyes were sore, and I was physically and emotionally exhausted.

I teach fifth grade, and my kids were pretty needy today.  I looked at them and wondered where I was going to get the patience.  My evil twin wanted to yell, "Will you just sit down and leave me alone for a little while?" 

That's when it happened.  The thought snuck through ... "That isn't what Mike would do.  Mike would listen and smile and help."  So I listened.  I smiled (okay, it wasn't bright and shiny, by it still qualified as a smile).  I helped them.

That feeling continued all day.  Suddenly I realized that what was happening was so cool.  Somehow, my soul had taken care of healing the hurt.  What was the best way to honor Mike and show my love for him?  Simple.  I would live my life like Mike did. 

That's a pretty incredible legacy to leave behind, but Mike was an incredible guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment